|Images courtesy Berkshire Hathaway Home Services|
Back on November 19, 2013, the always informative Lauren Beale at LA Times Hot Property revealed that former NFL offensive tackle star, Marvel Smith, listed his Calabasas home on November 12, 2013 for $1,825,000.
Smith who was born in Oakland attended Arizona State University where he was an All-American first-team selection in 1999, allowing only one sack all season. He was later drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2000 NFL draft. Smith was considered by many to be one of the most important players on the Steelers' offensive line but was unfortunately hampered by back injuries in 2007 until his eventual retirement in 2009. Smith also won two Super Bowl rings with the Steelers. He last played for the San Francisco 49ers where Smith's contract was bought out for $10.5 million.
The home measures 5 Beds/5 Baths on 5,031 sqft on a total lot size of 0.31 acres built in 1992. The listing description states:
Beautiful Calabasas Park Estate home ideally located in a prestigious 24 hour guard gated community. Awaiting your arrival, this dramatic grand entry has soaring high ceilings and exquisite details. This desirable open floor plan is perfect for today's modern lifestyle. Large formal living room with fireplace. Spacious family room open to the gourmet kitchen which is fully appointed with granite, large island, S/S appliances and butler's pantry. Oversized formal dining room perfect for entertaining. Master suite with balcony overlooking backyard. Spa like master bath and large walk- in closet. Park like yard with complete privacy. Pebble Tec pool, spa, grassy yard and BBQ island. Detached guest house with bathroom and kitchenette. 3 car attached direct access garage. Award winning Las Virgenes schools! This home offers stunning custom finishes with a magnificent use of space. Live in style!
Smith originally purchased this property on May 30, 2006 for $2.2 million which means that if sold at today's asking price of $1,825,000 would generate a loss of $375K before any expenses and appears to possibly be a larger loss because the home has been sitting on the market for 35 days without any takers at the time of this writing. And I thought the housing market had fully recovered.
I am not sure why Smith originally chose Calabasas as his home or where he is headed off to next but hopefully he still continues to call the SFV home.
The Calabasas area is home to many celebrities, athletes, and famous execs as discussed in this blog listed below:
- Former Baseball Super Agent Dennis Gilbert lists home for $5,985,000 in May 2013.
- Mexican DJ "El Piolin" Eddie Sotelo Re-lists Calabasas mansion for $7,275,000.
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett rumors of pocket listing of Calabasas compound for $42 million in August 2013.
- Marla Maples of Donald Trump fame sold Calabasas home for $2.2 million in July 2013.
- David Hasselhoff moves from Encino to Calabasas paying $1.95 million on May 15, 2013.
- Former NBA star, Mitch Richmond, listed his mansion for sale on April 29, 2013 for $9,495,000.
- Former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson listed his mansion for sale on December 3, 2012 for $10,500,000.
- The late Eazy-E's wife, Tomica Woods-Wright, home was recently foreclosed on May 11, 2012 and later sold for $2 million on November 27, 2012.
- Justin Bieber recently purchased the former Nicole Murphy (Eddie's ex) on April 6, 2012 for $6.5 million.
- El Piolin (Tweety Bird) Eddie Sotelo's listing of his mansion for the just reduced price of $6.8 million.
- The former Britney Spears rental was sold for $5.4 million on October 19, 2012.
- Baseball great Eric Davis home was sold as a short sale on May 4, 2012 for $1.8 million.
- Joey Lawrence purchased on December 13, 2011 for $1,442,500.
- NBA star Bryon Russell's home was foreclosed and later sold for $1,560,000.
- Nearby neighbors include Katherine Jackson and the rest of the family, Travis Barker, James Wilson's massive ranch, Candi Milo (former), Joel Diamond, and Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine to name a few.