[Update May 11, 2014]: This home sold for $4.5 million on April 17, 2014.
|Images courtesy Westside Estate Agency|
Back on September 30, 2013, the always informative Lauren Beale at Los Angeles Times Hot Property revealed that former baseball super agent, Dennis Gilbert, has listed his Calabasas mansion for sale for the current asking price of $5,985,000 which was originally listed for $6,395,000 on May 3, 2013.
Gilbert started playing baseball for Gardena High School and Los Angeles City College and later minor league baseball for 4 years. Gilbert's career in baseball was short lived and transitioned to the insurance business. After the insurance business blossomed, Gilbert became a baseball agent making big deals for the biggest stars like Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, and Jose Canseco. Gilbert retired from the agent business in 1999 to focus on insurance. You can read more about Gilbert who was close to buying the Dodgers in 2011 at the Daily News.
The home measures 7 Beds/9 Baths on 11,189 sqft on a total lot size of 3.09 acres built in 1990. This home is literally at the border of Hidden Hills, the Los Angeles Pet Memorial Park (home to some of Hollywood's famous animals), and David Hasselhoff's new crib. The listing description states:
Spectacular almost 4 acre trophy estate located up a long gated private driveway. Incredible estate-like grounds, beautiful gardens, Koi ponds, 5 hole putting green, spectacular swimmer's pool, rolling lawns, and lighted championship-size tennis court. Truly beautiful European villa filled with light and spectacular rooms for large scale entertaining. Grand 2-story entrance, living room, formal dining room, family room/billiard room, bar, screening room, gym, gourmet Chef's kitchen with center island, fabulous master suite with enormous walk-in closets and sumptuous marble baths, steam and sauna. Amazing guest/family bedrooms all with their own private baths and closets. Too many amenities to list. An incredible estate perfect for a celebrity or those who entertain on a large scale. Also available for lease.
Gilbert last purchased this home on July 27, 1990 for $1,041,363 which if sold at today's asking price would translate into a gain of $4,970,637 before all expenses. The reason for the sale is that Gilbert has already purchased a Holmby Hills estate for $8 million probably to be close to his Beverly Hills Insurance office.
Gilbert is no stranger to the San Fernando Valley as he also owns a modest Woodland Hills home measuring 3 Beds/2 Baths on 1,964 sqft on a total lot size of 8,106 sqft built in 1957 and purchased on June 19, 1998 for $278,000. This home is just down the street from his Calabasas home. Additionally, he owns a Mid-City home that measures 2 Beds/2 Baths on 1,374 sqft built in 1925.
The Calabasas area is home to many celebrities, athletes, and famous execs as discussed in this blog listed below:
- Mexican DJ "El Piolin" Eddie Sotelo Re-lists Calabasas mansion for $7,275,000.
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett rumors of pocket listing of Calabasas compound for $42 million in August 2013.
- Marla Maples of Donald Trump fame sold Calabasas home for $2.2 million in July 2013.
- David Hasselhoff moves from Encino to Calabasas paying $1.95 million on May 15, 2013.
- Former NBA star, Mitch Richmond, listed his mansion for sale on April 29, 2013 for $9,495,000.
- Former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson listed his mansion for sale on December 3, 2012 for $10,500,000.
- The late Eazy-E's wife, Tomica Woods-Wright, home was recently foreclosed on May 11, 2012 and later sold for $2 million on November 27, 2012.
- Justin Bieber recently purchased the former Nicole Murphy (Eddie's ex) on April 6, 2012 for $6.5 million.
- El Piolin (Tweety Bird) Eddie Sotelo's listing of his mansion for the just reduced price of $6.8 million.
- The former Britney Spears rental was sold for $5.4 million on October 19, 2012.
- Baseball great Eric Davis home was sold as a short sale on May 4, 2012 for $1.8 million.
- Joey Lawrence purchased on December 13, 2011 for $1,442,500.
- NBA star Bryon Russell's home was foreclosed and later sold for $1,560,000.
- Nearby neighbors include Katherine Jackson and the rest of the family, Travis Barker, James Wilson's massive ranch, Candi Milo (former), Joel Diamond, and Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine to name a few.