Celebrity Real Estate: Former Home of Al Jolson, Don Ameche, Kirstie Alley, Katey Sagal, and Charlie Sheen Listed For Sale in Encino
[Update November 30, 2015]: This property was purchased by Leeza Gibbons who later sold to Tina Drew, the mother of Jessica Simpson on June 25, 2015 for $5,770,000. You can read more here.
[Update December 6, 2011]: This historic home finally sold on December 2, 2011 for $5,200,00 which was significantly reduced from the original listed price in January 2011 from $6,495,000 representing a drop of $1,295,000. Moreover, the owners sold this property at a $1,420,000 loss from their original purchase at the peak of the market in 2006. Wow! This is such a massive loss, I am wondering if this became a short sale. Hard to believe the previous owners would take such a massive hit. And now the new buyers get to enjoy a piece of history and who knows, maybe they find some old crack pipes from when Charlie Sheen lived there.
The SFValleyblog found an amazing property for sale while roaming the internet and couldnt believe what has been sitting on the market for several months now in Encino. The property has significant historical value that was owned by a multitude of A-List Hollywood Celebrities which we will discuss later on.
The property for sale at $5,995,000 sits on 2.25 acres with 8,522 sqft of living space built in 1935 and includes 7 Beds/7.75 Baths. The property contains park like settings with a private gated driveway that leads to the residence, guest house, and a separate pool house complete with fireplace, kitchen, and bedroom. The main house consists of office/library, gym, wine cellar, theater room with bar, and staff quarters. This house has it all and no expense was spared. To get an idea of how massive this property is, check out the aerial view below:
Now lets talk about the owners because this is where it gets interesting. According to the Movieland Directory:
- Al Jolson and Ruby Keeler lived here I believe sometime in the 30's and maybe 40's. Jolson was known as "The World's Greatest Entertainer" during his prime. Keeler was a tap dancer and successful actress.
- Don Ameche owned this property in the 1960's. For me, I best remember him in the movies Trading Places, Coming to America, and Cocoon.
- Steven Seagal supposedly lived here in the 90's but not sure on this one. Seagal is known for various action films and his latest reality show, Steven Seagal: Lawman.
- Kirstie Alley and Parker Stevenson lived here sometime in the 90's. Kirsite is known for television hit show, Cheers, and the movie series, Look Who's Talking. Lately she shows off her fat on Kirstie Alley's Big Life.
- Katey Sagal and Jack White purchased from Kirstie Alley and Parker Stevenson in 1997. Sagal is known for "Peggy" on Married with Children.
- Charlie Sheen purchased from Sagal in June 2004 for $4,200,000 with Denise Richards living at the residence. Sheen is known for being "Sheen", words cant describe him. I personally remember him as Bud Fox on Wall Street.
- Michael and Patricia Jacobs purchased from Sheen in March 2006 for $6,620,000 which are the current owners. Michael Jacobs is a Broadway, Film, and Television producer.
So back to the current listing price. This property has been on and off the market since 2008 according to Redfin. It was last listed in January 2011 for $6,495,000 and was reduced $500,000 in April 2011 to today's current price of $5,995,000. Keep in mind, this property was purchased in 2006 for $6,620,000 so the current owners will be taking a loss not including fees and commissions. The market has dropped some 30 - 40% since 2006 so I dont know how this property will come close to selling near its last purchased price in 2006. Maybe the rich are immune to the real estate woes but that doesnt explain why its not moving. On the other hand, this is a classic property full of history (how much is that worth?) that you cant buy anywhere else.
You can view other Celebrity Real Estate listings here or the tab in the menu bar above.
Arizona Property Site
Property Records at Blockshopper