[Update October 3, 2014]: This home was sold on March 5, 2014 for $1.3 million to British Actor David Oyelowo. Colbie Caillat later purchased a Hidden Hills mansion in August 2014 discussed here.
Hot off the presses from the always informative Lauren Beale at LA Times Hot Property is the $1,399,000 listing of the family home belonging to singer-songwriter Colbie Caillat in Tarzana on April 2, 2013. The home is owned by Colbie's parents, Kenneth and Diane Caillat. Kenneth is a prominent music producer best known for working with Fleetwood Mac but also worked in some capacity with Billy Idol, Frank Sinatra, the Beach Boys, Alice Cooper, Michael Jackson, and Lionel Richie to name a few. Kenneth won a Grammy for Album of the Year for Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album in 1977.
Kenneth instilled his musical knowledge and mentored her daughter, Colbie, producing all 4 of her albums. Colbie inherited the family genes for success as she became a Grammy winner having won in the categories of Album of the Year for Taylor Swift's Fearless and Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals on "Lucky" with Jason Mraz in 2010. In that same year, she was also nominated for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals on "Breathe" with Taylor Swift and another nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album for her album Breakthrough.
|Above images courtesy CA Realty Group Los Angeles Real Estate|
According to the listing, the home measures 4 Beds/4 Baths on 3,701 sqft on a total lot size of 0.62 acres built in 1995:
A celebrity COMPOUND! This exquisite home has breathtaking views with long private driveway that provides this majestic home with a very secluded french style feel. This one of a kind home includes panoramic views, exquisite gardens, pools, with waterfalls, 3 car garage and a spa. .. The inside holds granite counter tops, a huge kitchen and an over-sized master bedroom with a massive closets and wrap around balcony's. This home has an unbelievable lot size and needles to say a rare find. .. This is THE most unique estate in the area and it will go fast! Call for a private tour.
This home was last purchased on March 17, 2008 prior to the real estate bubble imploding for $1.2 million. If the house were to sell at today's asking price, the Caillat family would stand to gain $199,000 before taxes, commissions, carrying costs, and any renovation expenses. This home was also featured on MTV's "Cribs" and is actually located north of Ventura Blvd and south of the Orange Line Busway in an old part of Tarzana featuring a variety of ranch style homes on large lots. Its an unlikely place for a celebrity albeit a Grammy winner which could be the reason why this home is for sale. According to the online listing, it appears that this home was listed for sale on April 11, 2011 but later delisted on May 5, 2011.
I am not exactly sure where the Caillat family is moving onto next but it appears that they have already left this Tarzana home with the near empty listing pictures shown above. Their roots are in Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks where their original family home is located and still owned by Kenneth and Diane. This home was purchased on June 4, 1990 for $363,000 containing 4 Beds/3 Baths on 2,154 sqft on a total lot size of 0.69 acres built in 1976 (shown below).
|Above image courtesy Google Maps|
There are also two other properties linked to the Caillat family shielded behind a Trust which I cannot confirm as being true so this is pure speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt. The first home is located in Thousand Oaks (shown below) which measures 5 Beds/3.5 Baths on 3,843 sqft on a total lot size of 0.34 acres built in 1989 and was last purchased on July 28, 2009 for $1.2 million.
|Image courtesy Prudential California Realty|
The second home is located in Westlake Village (shown below) which might be the sole home of Colbie which measures 4 Beds/3 Baths on 3,603 sqft on a total lot size of 0.35 acres built in 1995 and last purchased for $1.6 million on November 2, 2010.
|Image courtesy Dilbeck Real Estate|
You can view more SFV Celebrity Real Estate here.
Other celebrities in Tarzana and architecturally significant properties include:
- Rush Hour Actor, Chris Tucker, Unloads Two of His Tarzana Homes in November 2009 and March 2013.
- NFL star DeSean Jackson who recently purchased a $1,650,000 home.
- Grammy winning mixer Chris Lord-Alge who sold for $2,550,000 in March 2013
- 2x Emmy Winning Producer, Mark Wilding, who recently sold for $1,085,000 in September 2012.
- Selena Gomez purchased Jonah Hill's former home in August 2012.
- Gregory Ain designed Kaye Residence which was available and currently delisted.
- Bruce Boxleitner and Melissa Gilbert who have sold for $839,999 in March 2013 after two years of trying.
- Scary Spice of the Spice Girls recently sold a home for $3 million to Charlie Sheen ex Brooke Mueller who later sold for $3.150 million.
- Anton Yelchin's parents and former home.
- A. Quincy Jones Mid Century Modern home.
- Soap star Kristoff St. John owned a 5 Bed/5.5 Bath mansion from 2005 to 2007 who sold it to DJ Paul of the Three 6 Mafia who sold at a loss in 2010.
- Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian who purchased in 2009 for close to $4 million.
- NFL star Keyshawn Johnson.
- Dr. A.E. Abdun-Nur Residence by Paul Williams.