|Image courtesy Rodeo Realty|
Scott Baio, known for playing Charles in the TV sitcom, Charles in Charge, has sold his longtime Toluca Lake estate for $3,150,000 on December 26, 2012. Baio has had difficulty selling this home as it was originally listed for $4,995,000 on November 5, 2010, then $4,395,000 on April 13, 2011, $3,995,000 on October 11, 2011, $3,699,000 on July 29, 2012, and finally $3,499,000 on September 4, 2012. The total reduction from the original listing price to sell price equates to a whopping $1,845,000.
So while researching Scott Baio for this post, I couldnt believe but read that Baio was a director for the TV show, Out of This World. How random and cool is that! Below is a video to help refresh your memory.
The home measures 6 Beds/9 Baths on 11,075 sqft on a total lot size of 0.61 acres built in 1935. According to the listing:
REDUCED AGAIN!!! TOLUCA LAKES BEST DEAL!!!! Only $315SF for a gated, 11,000SF mansion with guest house on a 26,000SF lot & 10 car garage. Move right in or give it a facelift! Grand scale rooms. Great chef's kitchen with double Subs & Gaggenau appls. Giant Master with dual fireplaces, sitting area, sauna, gym, office, double cedar walk-ins with great bath with spa tub. Beautiful setting in prime area among more expensives estates. Seller wants it sold now!!
This property was last purchased on October 14, 1994 for $1,305,000 translating into a massive $1,845,000 profit before taxes, commissions, carrying costs, and any renovation costs. At the same time that the Toluca Lake home was purchased, Scott Baio purchased an Encino home on October 18, 1994 for $1,385,000. Baio later sold this home on May 26, 2011 and purchased a Woodland Hills mansion across from Dr. Dre on November 29, 2010 (as discussed here).
So I believe the Toluca Lake home was used by his parents, Mario and Rose, since they are also mentioned in the property records and are technically owners. Mario was also Scott's manager and had one credit each for acting and writing on Charles in Charge. Mario unfortunately passed away on March 31, 2007.
Speaking of the Baio family, Scott also has a brother, Steven, who is an actor, producer, and writer that currently lives in a 4 Bed/4 Bath Studio City home (shown below) measuring 2,773 sqft that was purchased for $825,000 on March 1, 2002 that also shows Rose Baio's name on the property records. So its possible that Rose moved into this home after the sale of the Toluca Lake estate. One other random tidbit, Steven's twin sister, Stephanie, also lives in Studio City.
Toluca Lake is home to many celebrities partially due to its close proximity to the studios and Hollywood. The following list are celebrity homes in the Toluca Lake area discussed on this blog:
|Image courtesy Google Maps|
- The Estate of the late Bob Hope which will be listed soon.
- Former Bing Crosby estate which sold on December 20, 2011 for $4.020 million.
- Former Hillary Duff mansion which sold on July 18, 2012 for $4,651,500.
- Jason Priestly who tried to sell his home for $2.1 million and has been off the market at this time.
- Erin Daniels (L Word) who recently purchased in June 2012 for $1.5 million.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt who recently listed a property for sale and one for lease in August 2012.
- Former Alan Thicke home who sold for $3,525,000 on November 20, 2012.
- Haylie Duff (sister of Hilary Duff) which recently listed on October 9, 2012 for $1,799,000.
- Miley Cyrus clan lives in this area.
- Other residents include Ashley Tisdale, Kiefer Sutherland, Andy Garcia, Dweezil Zappa, valley native George Lopez, Brooke Burns, Lindsay Price, Jonathan Antin, Jennie Garth, David Leisure, Nile Niami, the late Roy Disney, Sean "Diddy" Combs, Jonathan Winter, Steve Carell, Kirk Fogg, Markie Post, and the Jonas Brothers to name a few (or several).
You can check out more SFV Celebrity Real Estate here.