|Images courtesy Classic Properties|
On January 11, 2013, the late Roy E. Disney, son of Disney founder, Roy O. Disney, has just sold his longtime home of 35 years for the rather odd sales price of $3,136,634.
Disney was a longtime senior executive for The Walt Disney Company, which his father Roy Oliver Disney and his uncle Walt Disney founded. At the time of his death he was a shareholder (more than 16 million shares or about 1%), and served as a consultant for the company and Director Emeritus for the Board of Directors. He is perhaps best known for organizing the ouster of two top Disney executives: first, Ron Miller in 1984, and then Michael Eisner in 2005. As the last member of the Disney family to be actively involved in the company, Roy Disney was often compared to his uncle and father. In 2006, Forbes magazine estimated his personal fortune at about USD$1.2 billion. (Wikipedia)
Disney passed away on December 16, 2009 at the age of 79 due to stomach cancer complications.
The home measures 5 beds/4.75 baths on 4,876sqft on a total lot size of 0.82 acres built in 1948. The listing states:
First time on the market in 35 years, located within the heart of Toluca Lake, this expansive and private compound, set behind stately gates, offers the ultimate in security, seclusion and privacy yet is open, airy and majestic. Features: A spacious master suite with sitting room, fireplace and French doors to a private patio, remodeled bathroom, two walk-in closets, a cedar closet and double sinks with Carrera marble countertops. Two other large bedrooms with bathrooms and closets. Remodeled kitchen with stainless steel countertops, Butcher block island, Sub Zero refrigerator/freezer, Viking 6 burner range/oven. Family room with stand up bar and uline refrig and separate office alcove has open beam ceilings and fireplace opening to outdoors. Grand Formal dining room for large family gatherings has coffered ceilings and fireplace. Finished basement (924 square feet) is perfect for bedroom or home theater with bathroom and so much storage. Entertainer's Living room with french doors opens to beautiful patio with gorgeous views of magnificently landscaped grounds, 18 X36 foot pool and separate 414 square foot guest house with 3/4 bath and kitchenette. Parking for many cars. This property is for discerning clients who wish to create a lifetime of memories.
Based on the listing description, the home was acquired by Disney in 1977 and most likely for an insanely cheap price. The property was registered under Disney's personal holdings company, Shamrock Holdings managed by Stanley Gold, which in addition to various real estate holdings such as this home, also owns about a 1% stake in the Disney company making it the third largest shareholder based on a 2003 USA Today article.
Other homes owned by Disney is another Toluca Lake home on the lake (shown below) measuring 2 Beds/3 Baths on 2,443 sqft on a total lot size of 0.29 acres built in 1933 and acquired during the peak of the real estate bubble for $3.5 million. This home appears to have been originally purchased by Disney and his wife Patricia, who after a 52 years of marriage, decided to part ways in 2007. Patricia passed away on February 3, 2012 who served as Vice President of Shamrock holdings and was a major donor to local charities. After Roy and Patricia divorced, Roy remarried Leslie DeMeuse in 2008 and appears to be the owner of this property.
|Image courtesy Google Maps|
|Images courtesy Coldwell Banker Previews International|
Toluca Lake is home to many celebrities partially due to its close proximity to the studios and Hollywood. The following list are celebrity homes in the Toluca Lake area discussed on this blog:
- Scott Baio sold the family home for $3,150,000 on December 26, 2012.
- The Estate of the late Bob Hope which will be listed soon.
- Former Bing Crosby estate which sold on December 20, 2011 for $4.020 million.
- Former Hillary Duff mansion which sold on July 18, 2012 for $4,651,500.
- Jason Priestly who tried to sell his home for $2.1 million and has been off the market at this time.
- Erin Daniels (L Word) who recently purchased in June 2012 for $1.5 million.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt who recently listed a property for sale and one for lease in August 2012.
- Former Alan Thicke home who sold for $3,525,000 on November 20, 2012.
- Haylie Duff (sister of Hilary Duff) which recently listed on October 9, 2012 for $1,799,000.
- Miley Cyrus clan lives in this area.
- Other residents include Ashley Tisdale, Kiefer Sutherland, Andy Garcia, Dweezil Zappa, valley native George Lopez, Brooke Burns, Lindsay Price, Jonathan Antin, Jennie Garth, David Leisure, Nile Niami, Sean "Diddy" Combs, Jonathan Winter, Steve Carell, Kirk Fogg, Markie Post, and the Jonas Brothers to name a few.
You can check out more SFV Celebrity Real Estate here.